Tarform is a startup and aspirational brand that specializes in motorcycle development by embracing new technologies like 3D printing while using environmentally…Read more
As a company we are always looking for ways to facilitate the work of our clients by even partly take work out of their hands. To achieve this, we always conduct research into what can be improved, and which work is the most time and money-consuming for the client in order to find a suitable solution to reduce this costs and time pressure.
In the automotive industry, we noticed that the majority of time (+50%) and costs are related to the creation of 3D design data. This means that designers need to do an enormous amount of work within a limited period of time.
Automate design to production
As a result we developed an internal software tool that dramatically reduces manual design costs and time for creating jigs, while at the same time streamlining the process all the way to the actual manufacturing of the production tool itself through 3D printing.
The advantages of this software application are the following:
- The design process does no longer require a couple of hours, but just a few minutes.
- The quality of the end result is just as good as if you would do this manually and more effective.
- The procedure is so straightforward which makes that the qualification of a CAD designer is not required. As a result, employees at the assembly line are also authorized to design and modify tools on their own.
- Lower weight in comparison to conventionally manufactured counterparts
- The tool is usable in any manufacturing plant
How it works.
- Within a user-friendly interface, data of the part that needs to be placed on a car body can be uploaded and modified. The product template adapts to fit around the modified part.
- Standard elements such as handgrips, edge guides can be added to improve usability.
- The underlying algorithms of the software automatically generates the geometry of the tool. The output file is a watertight STL for 3D printing.
- The result will precisely fit the contour of the car part and guide the placement of the part that needs to be attached.